SENSEI JOHN MCCARTHY
Big John McCarthy is considered the pre-eminent referee throughout the world for mixed martial arts (MMA), beginning with his involvement at UFC 2 over fourteen years ago, and is a much sought-after figure when it comes to historical knowledge of the sport of MMA.
It is unlikely that anyone has been more prepared or destined to become an MMA referee than John McCarthy. McCarthy has been a police officer with the Los Angeles Police Department since 1985. As a student of the legendary Rorion Gracie, he has also experienced the rigorous training associated with Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Having excelled at both, it was inevitable that he became an instructor.
McCarthy was awarded his Tactic/Self Defense Instructor Certification by the LAPD on August 12, 1993, and has been teaching for the department since.
McCarthy is the leading authority on mixed martial arts officiating worldwide. He began refereeing on March 11, 1994 at UFC 2 and has never looked back. He has refereed every UFC to date save one. Standing 6'4" and weighing 240lbs, McCarthy and his famous fight opener "Let's Get It On" has become instantly recognizable to MMA fans worldwide. He is the paradigm by which all other referees are measured.
McCarthy has provided seminars of instruction and question and answer sessions for multiple athletic commissions across the Country in addition to The American Boxing Council (ABC) and the International Professional Ring Official (IPRO).
In September 2006, Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt McCarthy opened Big John McCarthy's Ultimate Training Academy (BJMUTA), the first fully functional MMA school in Valencia, CA.
In May 2007, McCarthy joined The Fight Network as a mixed martial arts analyst across its various distribution platforms.
John McCarthy's Credits Include:
- Officiated over 500 Mixed Martial Arts Matches worldwide
- Masters Hall of Fame - Outstanding Contributions to the martial arts
- American Grappling Association Black Belt Instructor
- Member of the Los Angeles Police Departments Martial Arts Review Board
- Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Grapple Instructor for Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
- Self-Defense Instructor for the Los Angeles Police Department
- Tactics Instructor for the Los Angeles Police Department
- Key figure in writing the Unified Rules for the sport of Mixed Martial Arts
- Received a California State Resolution for accomplishments in Mixed Martial Arts Safety & Growth
- Recognized Worldwide as the Premier Referee in Mixed Martial Arts