HANSHI LARRY MARTIN
This Traditional Japanese Ryu is a combination
of 3 major styles (ryu) Sho-Shotokan,
Ju- Aikijujitsu, and Kempo. Founded in
1980 by Soke Martin after winning the
New England Middleweight title in Kickboxing.
Soke Martin wanted to teach a more comprehensive
style of martial arts so he and
5 of his Black Belt students put together
Shojukempo Ryu. Teaching traditional Shotokan
Karate-do and Okinawan Kempo as the
foundation of Shojukempo, adding Combat
Aikijujitsu as the finishing touch.
Dai Soke Martin has trained with many
well known Grandmasters in his time,
men like Grandmaster William R. Gregory of the Kajukenpo Pai Lum
System, Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai founder of the Pai Lum
System, Grandmaster Nick Cerio of the
Nick Cerio's Kenpo Jujitsu System, Grandmaster George Pasere of
the Karazenpo Goshin Jitsu System, Grandmaster Ed Parker of American
Kenpo, Grandmaster Kali K. Griffen of Kajukenpo Pai Lum, Maestro
Guseppi Guaraldi of the JKA Italy Shotokan Karate-do, Shihan Earnest
St. Laurent Sr. of Shotokan Karate-do, Shihan Lee Getty of the Kyokushinkai
Karate-do, Master Richard Chun of Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo, and Sensei
Joe Fri of Goju-kan Karate-do. These Martial Art Masters were the
force behind me to form the Shojukempo System. The founding members
of Shojukempo are Sho dai Larry S. L. Martin 10th Dan., with 41
1/2 years of Martial Art training, Hanshi Robert M. Handley 9th
Dan., with 41 years of Martial Arts training, Shihan Raheem Darden
8th Dan., with 37 years of Martial Arts training, Sijo Samadhaq
Darden 9th Dan., with 39 1/2 years of Martial Arts training. Shihan
Fernando Restrepo 8th Dan with 37 years of Martial Arts training.
and Soke Martin's Son WakaShihan Jeramy E. Devlin - Martin 5th Dan
with 15 years of Martial Art knowledge (started at the age of 2
Now at the Rhode Island Shotokan Karate Honbu Dojo
Martin teaches the different versions of
kata to his Shojukempo students, to show
respect to the men that have passed away,
men like Grandmaster Ed Parker, Prof.
Nick Cerio, Grandmaster William R. Gregory,
Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai. He has taken
2 Kata from each of these men's systems
to make Shojukempo a unique system of
About Hanshi Larry Martin
- Began his martial arts training
October 15th,1964 at the age of 11
years old under father, Jessie S. R.Martin
and Sensei Richard Chun in the Art of Moo
Duk Kwon Taekwon-do.
- 1971 - Received his Shodan Black Belt at the
age of 17 years old in Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do
under Sensei Richard Chun.
- 1972 - Started training with Sensei Lee Getty in Kyokuoshinkai
- 1973 - Received his Nidan Black Belt at the age
of 19 years old in Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do.
- Started training in the Kajukenpo Pai
Lurn Kung-fu under Master William R.
Gregory and Grandmaster Daniel K.Pai.
- 1974 - Received his Sandan Black Belt at the
age of 20 years old in Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do.
- Started training in the Japanese ryu
of Shotokan Karate-do under Sensei Earnest
St. Laurent Sr. and David St. Laurent
- 1978 - Received his Shodan Black Belt at the
age of 24 years old in Shotokan Karate-do
under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr.
and Sensei Gilbert Dolman.
- 1979 - Received his Shodan Black Belt at the
age of 25 years old in Kajukenpo Pai
Lum under Master William R. Gregory.
- Received his Shodan in Kyokuoshinkai
Karate-do under Sensei Lee Getty. - Krane
New England Kata Grand Champion and the
New England middleweight Champion in
full contact Karate! (1978-1979).
- 1980 - Received his Nidan Black Belt in Kajukenpo
Pai Lum under Master William R. Gregory
and Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai. - Received
his Nidan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate-do
under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr.
and David St Laurent Jr. - Professional
Karate Association's New Englang Middleweight
Champion in Fullcontact Karate undefeated!
- Received his Sandan Black Belt in
Shotokan Karate-do under Sensei Earest
St. Laurent St. Sr., Sensei Gilbert Dolman.
- 1984 - Received his Sandan Black Belt in Kajukenpo
Pai lum kung-fu under Master's William
R.Gregory and Ed Stroke Canada. - Received
his Yondan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate-do
under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr.,
Sensei Gilbert Dolman.
- 1985 - Received his Yondan Black Belt in Kajukenpo
Pai Lum Kung-fu under Master William
R.Gregory and Grandmaster Daniel K.Pai.
- 1987 - Received his Godan Black Belt in Shotokan
Karate-do under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent
Sr. - Received his Godan Black Belt in
Kajukenpo Pai Lum Kung-fu under Master
William R. Gregory and Master Ed Stroke
- 1990 - Received his Ryukudan in Kajukenpo under
Grandmaster William R.Gregory.
- 1993 - Received his Yondan Black Belt in Aikijujitsu
Federation under Master Toshihizo Obata.
- 1994 - Received an update on his MooDuk Kwon
Taekwon-do Certification Sandan Black
Belt from Sensei Richard Chun.
Rokudan update Certification Black Belt
from Grandmaster William R. Gregory and
Sensei David St. Laurent Jr. ( 1990 ).
Received his Rokudan Black Belt from
Nick Cerio's International Martial Arts Association from Professor
- Received his Rokudan from the United
States RyuKuKai Karate-do Association Shihan Robert M. Handley,
Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr., Sensei Gilbert Dolman
and (Maestro Giuseppi Guaraldi JKA Italy).
Received the Grand Championship Title
in (Kumite) Heavyweight Champion. Plus
first place runner up in Kata & Weapons
in the Nick Cerio's International Martial
Arts Association Karate Championships!
- Received his Nidan Black Belt in
Aikido, Japan Aikido Federation under Master Tikki Oyama.
-1997 - Received his Sokeship from Grandmaster
William D. Miller International Soke Head Founder's
Society and the International Society
of Combat Martial Arts.
- Received his
W.B.B.B Certification from Grandmaster
Kang Rhee as the W.B.B.B. Certified School
- Founder of Shojukempo Karate-do with the rank of Soke
8th Dan. (Hachidan).
- Awarded 9th Dan. in 2002 from Grandmaster
Al Cunningham 10th Dan Admin. President of the North American
Grandmasters Council and was appointed as Senior Advisor by Grandmaster
Cunningham - 9th Dan. Black Belt in Shojukempo Karate-do - Soke,
Hanshi, Grandmaster (Founder)
- 8th Dan Black Belt American Kenpo /
- 7th Dan Black Belt Kajukenpo
- Master's Level 5th Dan Black Belt Bok
Lum Pai Kung-fu
- 7th Dan Black Belt Shotokan Karate-do
- 4th Dan. Black Belt Aikijujitsu
- 3rd Dan. Black Belt Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do
- 2nd Dan Black Belt Aikido
- 1st Dan Black Belt Kyokushinkai Karate-do
- 1st Dan Black Belt Okinawin Goju-Kan
- Chief Instructor for the Nathan Bishop
Middle School Shotokan Karate Club Prov. R.I.
- Chief Instructor for the Arlengton Elementary School Shotokan
Karate Club Cranston, R.I.
- Soke Head Master and Founder of the R.I.SHOTOKAN KARATE HOMBU
- President and founder of the INTERNATIONAL TORA DO RYU KARATE
- President and founder of the R.I.DRUG BUSTER'S KARATE TEAM. W.B.B.B.
Certified Branch School Instructor.
- Cheif Instructor of Bill Gregory's Kajukenpo Martial Arts Studio
Pawtucket and Central Falls Rhode Island.
- c/o founder for MARTIAL ARTS WOMAN AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Awarded as the Highest Ranking Afro American Martial Arts Instructor
under Grandmaster William R.Gregory in the State of Rhode Island.
Hanshi Larry S.L. Martin's
- Board member of the International Ryu Kyu Kai Karate Association
- Inducted to the Ryu Kyu Kai Karate Association Hall of fame by
Dr. Kyoshi Robert M. Handley 8th Dan. and I'm the United States
Director for the International Ryu kyu kai Karate Association.
- Awarded Sokeship in 2001 from Grandmaster George Petrotta 10th
Dan Director President of the ISA- International Sungja-do Association
for recognition of SHOJUKEMPO KARATE-DO and the Rhode Island State
Director with full honors!
- Recognition Certification in 2002 form the United States Martial
Arts Federation for SHOJUKEMPO KARATE-DO.
- Rhode Island State Director for the World Combat Arts Federation
- Member of the Hawaii Martial Arts International Society.
- Awarded Hanshiship in 2002 from Grandmaster Montezuma C. Cantu
10th Dan President Ceo of the International Black Belt Federation
with appointed letter as Ambassador to Europe an Canada for the
Martial Arts. plus Board Member and Director for the Japanese Karate-do
Division in Rhode Island under the All Japan Okinawan Karate Association.
- Rhode Island state Director for the United States Martial Artist
Association in 2002 under President / founder Supreme Grandmaster
William A. Rankin 10th Dan
- Sept. 2002 received Certification for 9th Dan. As a member of
the Karazenpo Goshin Jutsu Black Belt Society with " SHOJUKEMPO
KARATE-DO recognition from " Sonny Victor Gascon " 10th
Dan founder of Karazenpo Goshin Jutsu.
- Received in 2002 B- Class Certification 6th Dan. Chief Instructor,
Examiner, Referee from the World JKA Karate Alliance and Rhode Island
For more about Shojukempo Ryu, please visit: shojukempointl.tripod.com/