EVIL ACROSS OUR PLANET
Source: UK Online Sun
URL Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005310401,00.html
Published: Jul 8, 2005
World of hate ... map shows terror attacks
by Islamic extremists since 1993
We have not included the unforgivable Palestinian
terror attacks and suicide bombings in
Israel due to their sheer number:
MORE than 4,000 people have died as Islamic
terrorism has spread across the world over
the last decade. Here we highlight some
of the worst atrocities:
1. FEB 26 1993: Six people killed by a 500kg
bomb beneath the World Trade Center
in New York.
2 DEC 11 1994: Explosion on a Philippine Airlines jet bound for
Tokyo killed one and injured ten.
3. JUN 25 1996: Nineteen US servicemen killed in Dharan, Saudi
Arabia, when their housing complex was
blown up by a suicide bomber.
4. AUG 7 1998: American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania attacked
in suicide truck bombings. Around 230
5. SEP 11 2001: 2,986 people killed as hijacked planes are flown
into New York’s Twin Towers and the US Pentagon, and in a
fourth hijacked airliner.
New York ... Twin Towers burn
6. DEC 23 2001: Shoe bomber Richard Reid foiled trying to blow
up flight from Paris to Miami.
7. MAR 17 2002: Five people killed when terrorists hurled grenades
into a church in Pakistan.
8. APR 11 2002: Twenty one people, including 18 German tourists,
killed when an ancient synagogue was
bombed in Tunis.
9. OCT 6 2002: French oil tanker, the Limburg, attacked by a suicide
speed boat off the coast of Yemen. One
crew member died.
10. OCT 12 2002: A bomb in a Bali nightclub killed
202 people, mostly Australians.
Bali ... victims flee club bombing
11. NOV 28 2002: Sixteen dead, including three bombers, at the
Israeli Paradise Hotel in Mombassa, Kenya.
Two missiles missed an Israeli plane carrying 200 people.
12. MAY 12 2003: Suicide bombers hit three compounds for foreign
workers in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The
34 dead included nine attackers.
13. MAY 16 2003: Fourteen suicide bombers attacked four targets
in the Moroccan capital Casablanca. Forty
one people were killed.
14. AUG 5 2003: Twelve killed by car bomb outside Marriott Hotel
in Indonesian capital Jakarta.
15. NOV 8 2003: Housing complex in Riyadh attacked by suicide car
bomb. Seventeen dead, 100 hurt.
16. NOV 15 2003: Two synagogues in Istanbul attacked, killing 23
and wounding at least 300.
17. NOV 20 2003: Attacks on British Consulate and HSBC bank in
Istanbul killed 27 and injured more than
450. Among the dead was Consul-General Roger Scott.
18. MAR 11 2004: In Madrid, TEN bombs remotely detonated on four
trains in the rush hour killed 191 commuters
and wounded 2,000.Madrid ... dazed train
passengers Picture: REUTERS
Madrid ... dazed train passengers
19. MAY 29 2004: Gunmen stormed residential buildings for foreign
workers in Khobar, Saudi Arabia. Twenty
two workers killed.
20. JUN 6 2004: Gunmen attacked a BBC crew in Suweidi, Saudi Arabia.
Irish cameraman Simon Cumber was killed
and BBC correspondent Frank Gardener injured.
21. JUN 18 2004: American engineer Paul Johnson executed by his
kidnappers in Riyadh.
22. OCT 7 2004: At least 40 people killed when three suicide bombings
hit resorts on Egypt’s Red Sea coast. At the Taba Hilton,
a huge car bomb killed at least 30 people.
23. DEC 6 2004: Five staff and four gunmen killed in a raid on
US consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.