It is amazing to me how so many of us (myself included) take pride in sleep deprivation. We often wear it like a badge of honor and seem to forget that, along with diet and exercise, it is one of the three pieces of the health puzzle.
The reality is… it is essential to get enough rest for a healthy, productive life. But don’t take my word for it. Let’s take a look at the effects of sleep deprivation.
• Inadequate rest causes a reaction response comparable to that of an intoxicated person
• Inadequate rest causes an excessive release of stress hormones that signal the body to store fat
• Inadequate rest causes the brain to send out urgent messages for quick energy “sugar cravings”
• Inadequate rest doesn’t allow the body ample time to repair itself
Rest and Recharge Guidelines
• Develop a set sleeping schedule and try to stick to it
• Build “Recharge” breaks into your daily routine
• For more restful sleep, mindfully debrief the day before retiring
• Make sure your sleeping environment is contusive to your needs
If you currently get enough rest, keep it up. If not, I understand it might be hard but perhaps it is time to make it a higher priority.