Sensei Gary Goltz, 8th dan, began studying judo in his hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania under the famous Korean champion in 1965, Kyu Ha Kim, 9th dan, owner of Kim’s Martial Arts. He also trained under the 1967 World Silver Medalist Kiel Soon Park, 9th dan, President of the Korean Judo Association in the USA.
In 1971, Sensei Gary initiated a judo program at the University of Pittsburgh, which is still going strong today. He began to emerged as a national judo leader in 1977.
After moving to Southern California, Sensei Gary recognized the need for a dojo in his local area and founded Goltz Judo Club in 1987. He then formed a close friendship with the late Dr. Osvaldo Zarantonello, 9th dan, who was the club’s technical advisor.
Gary is a Bronze Benefactor Life Member of the United States Judo Association where he serves as Chief Operating Officer, Funding Committee Chair, Awards, and Tournament Committees Member.
In 2003, Sensei Gary was inducted into the USJA’s Hall of Fame as Coach of the Year.
Sensei Gary’s Judo Credentials:
- USJA Master Coach, Rank Examiner, Referee, & Kata Instructor
- Defensive Tactics Consultant, Los Angeles Police Department
- JRDG Kappo Katsu-Hou Certified in Japan
Sensei Gary’s Distinctions as a Judo Coach:
- US Blind Team, 1991 World Championships
- California Goodwill 1992 & 1995 Judo Missions to Japan
- Callae Goltz, 1990, 1991, 1992 (Triple Crown), 1993, & 1994 Junior National Champion
- Gabriel Goltz, 1992 & 1993 Junior National Champion
- Nathan Goltz, 1992, 1993, & 1994 Junior National Champion
- Austin Provencher, 1995 Junior National Champion
- Dave Reaver, 2000 Masters National Champion
- Allen Johnson, 2001 & 2003 Masters National & World Champion
- Nick Niakan, 2003 Masters National Champion
- Dave Guerrero & Greg Works, 2004 Masters National Champions
- Sarah Crosby, 2005 Junior National Champion
- Jerry Tambe, 2005 & 2006 Masters National Champion
- Top Performing Club at the 2007 USJA Winter Nationals
- Brad Karmann, 2008 & 2009 Masters National Champion
- Gavin Purdy, 2009 National Collegiate Judo Association Champion
Sensei Gary’s Education & Business Credentials:
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh, Rhetoric & Communications, Cum Laude, 1976
- M.B.A., Pepperdine University, President & Key Executive Program, with Honor, 1988
- Executive Council Member, ABL Healthcare Organization, since 1989
- Ernst & Young, Los Angeles Entrepreneur of the Year, Nominee, 1993
- President, Goltz Healthcare Sales Strategies, since 1995
Sensei Gary’s Affiliations & Awards:
- Community Service Award, Chaffey Joint Union School District, 1995
- Recipient, Mayor’s Certificate of Tribute, City of Los Angeles, 2000
- Director of Parades, Los Angeles City Council District 4, Hollywood
- Member, Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks
- Life Member, California Highway Patrol 11-99 Foundation