Sho Dai Soke Larry Martin has trained with many well known Grandmasters in his time, men like Grandmaster William R. Gregory of the Kajukenpo Pai Lum System, Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai founder of the Pai Lum System, Grandmaster Nick Cerio of the Nick Cerio’s Kenpo Jujitsu System, Grandmaster George Pasere of the Karazenpo Goshin Jitsu System, Grandmaster Ed Parker of American Kenpo, Grandmaster Kali K. Griffen of Kajukenpo Pai Lum, Maestro Guseppi Guaraldi of the JKA Italy Shotokan Karate-do, Shihan Earnest St. Laurent Sr. of Shotokan Karate-do, Shihan Lee Getty of the Kyokushinkai Karate-do, Master Richard Chun of Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo, and Sensei Joe Fri of Goju-kan Karate-do. These Martial Art Masters were the force behind me to form the Shojukempo System. The founding members of Shojukempo are Sho dai Larry S. L. Martin 10th Dan., with 41 1/2 years of Martial Art training, Hanshi Robert M. Handley 9th Dan., with 41 years of Martial Arts training, Shihan Raheem Darden 8th Dan., with 37 years of Martial Arts training, Sijo Samadhaq Darden 9th Dan., with 39 1/2 years of Martial Arts training. Shihan Fernando Restrepo 8th Dan with 37 years of Martial Arts training. and Soke Martin’s Son WakaShihan Jeramy E. Devlin – Martin 5th Dan with 15 years of Martial Art knowledge (started at the age of 2 yrs. old).
Now at the Rhode Island Shotokan Karate Honbu Dojo headquarters “Shojukempo International”, Hanshi Martin teaches the different versions of kata to his Shojukempo students, to show respect to the men that have passed away, men like Grandmaster Ed Parker, Prof. Nick Cerio, Grandmaster William R. Gregory, Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai. He has taken 2 Kata from each of these men’s systems to make Shojukempo a unique system of study.
This Traditional Japanese Ryu is a combination of 3 major styles (ryu) Sho-Shotokan, Ju- Aikijujitsu, and Kempo. Founded in 1980 by Soke Larry Martin after winning the New England Middleweight title in Kickboxing. Soke Martin wanted to teach a more comprehensive style of martial arts so he and 5 of his Black Belt students put together Shojukempo Ryu. Teaching traditional Shotokan Karate-do and Okinawan Kempo as the foundation of Shojukempo, adding Combat Aikijujitsu as the finishing touch.
About Hanshi Larry Martin
- Began his martial arts training October 15th,1964 at the age of 11 years old under father, Jessie S. R.Martin and Sensei Richard Chun in the Art of Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do.
- 1971 – Received his Shodan Black Belt at the age of 17 years old in Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do under Sensei Richard Chun.
- 1972 – Started training with Sensei Lee Getty in Kyokuoshinkai Karate-do.
- 1973 – Received his Nidan Black Belt at the age of 19 years old in Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do. – Started training in the Kajukenpo Pai Lurn Kung-fu under Master William R. Gregory and Grandmaster Daniel K.Pai.
- 1974 – Received his Sandan Black Belt at the age of 20 years old in Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do. – Started training in the Japanese ryu of Shotokan Karate-do under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr. and David St. Laurent Jr.
- 1978 – Received his Shodan Black Belt at the age of 24 years old in Shotokan Karate-do under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr. and Sensei Gilbert Dolman.
- 1979 – Received his Shodan Black Belt at the age of 25 years old in Kajukenpo Pai Lum under Master William R. Gregory. – Received his Shodan in Kyokuoshinkai Karate-do under Sensei Lee Getty. – Krane New England Kata Grand Champion and the New England middleweight Champion in full contact Karate! (1978-1979).
- 1980 – Received his Nidan Black Belt in Kajukenpo Pai Lum under Master William R. Gregory and Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai. – Received his Nidan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate-do under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr. and David St Laurent Jr. – Professional Karate Association’s New Englang Middleweight Champion in Fullcontact Karate undefeated!
- 1982 – Received his Sandan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate-do under Sensei Earest St. Laurent St. Sr., Sensei Gilbert Dolman.
- 1984 – Received his Sandan Black Belt in Kajukenpo Pai lum kung-fu under Master’s William R.Gregory and Ed Stroke Canada. – Received his Yondan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate-do under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr., Sensei Gilbert Dolman.
- 1985 – Received his Yondan Black Belt in Kajukenpo Pai Lum Kung-fu under Master William R.Gregory and Grandmaster Daniel K.Pai.
- 1987 – Received his Godan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate-do under Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr. – Received his Godan Black Belt in Kajukenpo Pai Lum Kung-fu under Master William R. Gregory and Master Ed Stroke From Canada.
- 1990 – Received his Ryukudan in Kajukenpo under Grandmaster William R.Gregory.
- 1993 – Received his Yondan Black Belt in Aikijujitsu Federation under Master Toshihizo Obata.
- 1994 – Received an update on his MooDuk Kwon Taekwon-do Certification Sandan Black Belt from Sensei Richard Chun.
- Received Rokudan update Certification Black Belt from Grandmaster William R. Gregory and Sensei David St. Laurent Jr. ( 1990 ).
- Received his Rokudan Black Belt from Nick Cerio’s International Martial Arts Association from Professor Nick Cerio.
- Received his Rokudan from the United States RyuKuKai Karate-do Association Shihan Robert M. Handley, Sensei Earnest St. Laurent Sr., Sensei Gilbert Dolman and (Maestro Giuseppi Guaraldi JKA Italy).
- Received the Grand Championship Title in (Kumite) Heavyweight Champion. Plus first place runner up in Kata & Weapons in the Nick Cerio’s International Martial Arts Association Karate Championships!
- -1995 – Received his Nidan Black Belt in Aikido, Japan Aikido Federation under Master Tikki Oyama.
- 1997 – Received his Sokeship from Grandmaster William D. Miller International Soke Head Founder’s Society and the International Society of Combat Martial Arts.
- Received his W.B.B.B Certification from Grandmaster Kang Rhee as the W.B.B.B. Certified School Instructor.
- Founder of Shojukempo Karate-do with the rank of Soke 8th Dan. (Hachidan).
– Awarded 9th Dan. in 2002 from Grandmaster Al Cunningham 10th Dan Admin. President of the North American Grandmasters Council and was appointed as Senior Advisor by Grandmaster Cunningham – 9th Dan. Black Belt in Shojukempo Karate-do – Soke, Hanshi, Grandmaster (Founder)
– 8th Dan Black Belt American Kenpo / Kempo Karate
– 7th Dan Black Belt Kajukenpo
– Master’s Level 5th Dan Black Belt Bok Lum Pai Kung-fu
– 7th Dan Black Belt Shotokan Karate-do
– 4th Dan. Black Belt Aikijujitsu
– 3rd Dan. Black Belt Moo Duk Kwon Taekwon-do
– 2nd Dan Black Belt Aikido
– 1st Dan Black Belt Kyokushinkai Karate-do
– 1st Dan Black Belt Okinawin Goju-Kan Karate-do
– Chief Instructor for the Nathan Bishop Middle School Shotokan Karate Club Prov. R.I.
– Chief Instructor for the Arlengton Elementary School Shotokan Karate Club Cranston, R.I.
– Soke Head Master and Founder of the R.I.SHOTOKAN KARATE HOMBU DOJO’S.
– President and founder of the INTERNATIONAL TORA DO RYU KARATE ASSOCIATION.
– President and founder of the R.I.DRUG BUSTER’S KARATE TEAM. W.B.B.B. Certified Branch School Instructor.
– Cheif Instructor of Bill Gregory’s Kajukenpo Martial Arts Studio Pawtucket and Central Falls Rhode Island.
– c/o founder for MARTIAL ARTS WOMAN AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE Awarded as the Highest Ranking Afro American Martial Arts Instructor under Grandmaster William R.Gregory in the State of Rhode Island. Hanshi Larry S.L. Martin’s
– Board member of the International Ryu Kyu Kai Karate Association
– Inducted to the Ryu Kyu Kai Karate Association Hall of fame by Dr. Kyoshi Robert M. Handley 8th Dan. and I’m the United States Director for the International Ryu kyu kai Karate Association.
– Awarded Sokeship in 2001 from Grandmaster George Petrotta 10th Dan Director President of the ISA- International Sungja-do Association for recognition of SHOJUKEMPO KARATE-DO and the Rhode Island State Director with full honors!
– Recognition Certification in 2002 form the United States Martial Arts Federation for SHOJUKEMPO KARATE-DO.
– Rhode Island State Director for the World Combat Arts Federation
– Member of the Hawaii Martial Arts International Society.
– Awarded Hanshiship in 2002 from Grandmaster Montezuma C. Cantu 10th Dan President Ceo of the International Black Belt Federation with appointed letter as Ambassador to Europe an Canada for the Martial Arts. plus Board Member and Director for the Japanese Karate-do Division in Rhode Island under the All Japan Okinawan Karate Association.
– Rhode Island state Director for the United States Martial Artist Association in 2002 under President / founder Supreme Grandmaster William A. Rankin 10th Dan
– Sept. 2002 received Certification for 9th Dan. As a member of the Karazenpo Goshin Jutsu Black Belt Society with ” SHOJUKEMPO KARATE-DO recognition from ” Sonny Victor Gascon ” 10th Dan founder of Karazenpo Goshin Jutsu.
– Received in 2002 B- Class Certification 6th Dan. Chief Instructor, Examiner, Referee from the World JKA Karate Alliance and Rhode Island State Director.
For more about Shojukempo Ryu, please visit: http://shojukempori.tripod.com/