Seigen Esaka Sensei is considered to be one of Japan’s finest sword practitioners. It is rare for an individual of his caliber and experience to provide instruction outside of Japan. Esaka Sensei is an official representative of the All Japan Iaido Federation (Zen Nihon Iaido Renmei – ZNIR).
Seigen Esaka Sensei is a direct student of both the 20th Soke, Kono Minoru Hyakuren, and the 21st Soke, Fukui Torao. He holds a 10th dan in Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu Iaido and regularly instructs iaido practitioners of all levels in Japan, North America, and Europe.
Seigen Esaka Sensei holds the following positions:
- Vice President of All Japan Iaido Federation (Zen Nihon Iaido Renmei)
- President of Kanto Regional All Japan Iaido Federation (Zen Nihon Iaido Kanto Chiku Renmei)
Iaido instructor for:
- Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Japan’s Self Defense Forces
- Iaido Renmei Defense Academy
Seigen Esaka Sensei teaches at his dojos in Shibuya (Tokyo) and Kita-Matsudo (north-east of Tokyo). Esaka Sensei began practicing iaido in 1956 with Fukui Torao Sensei who eventually became the 21st Soke of Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu. Esaka Sensei obtained shodan in 1958, became hanshi in 1976, and 10th dan in 1991. Esaka Sensei also practices kendo, and became 6th dan kyoshi in 1967.