Dōshu Mark Colangelo gave up the practice of law and opened a full-time professional dojo, committing his life to his passion, the teaching of martial arts. He is Soke of Go Jiu Bujitsu (The Way of Hard & Soft Martial Arts), a modern, unique and extremely effective mixed martial art consisting of a blend of traditional martial arts, no nonsense self-defense, as well as military and law enforcement techniques.
Martial Arts background (as of May 2007):
- 6th Degree Black Belt (Rokudan) in Neko Ryu Goshin Jitsu – Evaluated and promoted by Professor Ernie Cates and Grandmaster Moose Cates, Soke of Neko Ryu Goshin Jitsu.
- 6th Degree Black Belt (Rokudan) in USJA JuJitsu – Evaluated and promoted by Professor/Grandmaster Ernie Cates (USJA National Jujitsu Board of Examiners; 8th Dan USJA JuJitsu, 8th Dan Kodokan Judo and Founder of Neko Ryu Goshin Jitsu);
- 5th Degree Black Belt (Godan) in Cuong Nhu Karate (the style’s highest tested rank and at the time, only the 7th person in the history of the style to earn that rank) Tested and promoted from Black Belt through 5th Dan by the style’s Founder Grandmaster/Dr. Ngo Dong;
- 3rd Degree Black Belt (Sandan) in Judo – Evaluated and promoted by Professor Ernie Cates (8th Dan Kodokan Judo);
- Black Belt in Cuong Nhu Soft-Style [*with its’ own separate 9 Kyu curriculum] (only one of ten in the history of the style) Tested and promoted by the style’s Founder Grandmaster/Dr. Ngo Dong;
- Additional martial arts training: 1 ½ or more years each in Shotokan, Aikido, Wing Chun & Tai Chi, as well as exposure to Moo Duk Kwan and Shaolin Kung Fu as a youth.
- 30+ years as a participant, competitor (Forms, Kumite and Breaking) and teacher of Martial Arts
- Inducted into as member; recipient of the “Founder’s Award” for Go Jiu Bujitsu;
and recognized as Grandmaster 9th Degree, by the World Head of Family Sokeship Council – May 2007
- Inducted as an Instructor into the United States Martial Arts Hall of Fame – August 2002;
- Master’s Community Leadership Award 2006 from World Amateur Martial Arts Federation, Inc.; Produced 57 Black belts (as of August 2007);
- Cuong Nhu Instructor of the Year ’88 & ’95;
- Guest Instructor ’97 Jujitsu America Annual Training Camp;
- Cuong Nhu Board of Directors (seven years) ’87-’89 & ’91-’97;
- Cuong Nhu Instruction Manual contributing author
- Black Belt Magazine Yearbook ’86 “Basic Philosophy with Basic Technique”;
- Black Belt Magazine Dec. ’88 “Man vs. Bricks! The Art of Breaking”;
- Kung Fu Presents World of Martial Arts Magazine April ’99 “
- Cuong Nhu – The Hard & Soft Vietnamese Way of Fighting”;
- Martial Arts TV1 – 2008 Interview (featuring Doshu Colangelo and Go Jiu Bujitsu);
- Wealth TV – 2008 Interview “Etiquette in Sports”
Educational Background And Professional Employment:
Owner/Head Instructor – Setting Sun Mixed Martial Arts – ’94- Present San Diego, CA
In March 1994, Doshu Colangelo gave up the practice of law and opened a full-time professional dojo, thereby committing his life to his passion, the teaching of martial arts to others.
Practicing full-time civil litigation attorney ’82 –’94 San Diego, CA
Juris Doctor (law degree) ’82 California Western School of Law San Diego, Ca – “Sophister Award” (first year oral advocacy competition); Advocacy Honors Board Member – Moot court; and “American Jurisprudence Award” (for legal ethics).
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Speech ’79 Pacific University Forest Grove, Or – Freshman Baseball (pitcher); lettered in Varsity Football (cornerback) and Varsity Soccer (“sweeper” & co-captain); Speech & Debate Team member; Feature Writer for School Newspaper.
High School Diploma ’75 Patrick Henry High School San Diego, Ca – lettered two years each in Varsity Football (outside line-backer) and Varsity Track (discus) –“Golden Shoe Award”; school record in discus.
Functional Title/Position: Dōshu
Master Of The Way – Head Of Style
Administrative Title/Position: Shūso – Soke
“FOUNDER – HEADMASTER”
(*Note: both titles/positions denote the Head of Style and are therefore outside its’ or any other rank system. Mark Colangelo does not assume or accept any Dan rank in Go Jiu Bujitsu and no Dan rank should be attached to him as Head of Style.)
For more information about Mark Colangelo Setting Sun Dojo visit their listing on the Martial Arts Schools and Businesses Directory by clicking on the image on the left.